Monday, December 18, 2017

Bun-Apple, Freelance Sex Worker

Over the last several years I have stayed away from photographing the night life bar scene. After doing the last of my white background sex worker photos in 2012 I moved on. Making photos in slums and in garbage dumps seemed a much nicer, a much better place to be. Tonight at least in a small way I returned to that world. This decision was partly influenced by positive reactions recently to earlier created portrait work.
Harvard Mayzine Story About Some Of The Sex Worker Portraits
Return To asex Woker aportrais? Blog Entry

I went down to a bar area on Sukhumvit road and hung out a bit, there on the street I met an older free lance worker named Apple (at first she told me her name was Bun). I ended up doing some portraits of Apple on the street and then later in a short time sex room (rent for room was 200 baht for 2 hours) she used with her customers.

Apple was typical of the women workers I photographed back in 2003. Desperate for money she talked about it often and always. She is 45 and well past her prime, over weight etc, there were not many customers these days. When we were talking she did received one message on LINE chat from a guy named Ivan. Ivan wrote “I am so horny let’s meet”. What a romantic dude, Ivan should be a poet. Apple liked his money, his big condo. She said he used to be good now he was a bad man.

During my talk with Apple she told me she had a daughter who was 15 and who lived with an aunt in Issan province ( Thailand’s poorest province). Both of Apples parents were Vietnamese and had passed on, some how she was born in Thailand. Apple was not sure how or why she ended up in Thai, and was angry that her parents never got her to America or Canada where there was good money.

Any way did some good portraits work of her I think, glad I met her. Apple had a wonderful laugh. Not sure I will make this nightlife sex worker portraits a major project thou. I joke with people, am generous with money and try to treat everyone with respect and dignity. Being in that world night after night is draining mentally, a real downer, not sure I want to jump in head first into that world again.