Saturday, December 16, 2017

Shark Attack Like Photography

When shooting run and gun street portraiture with a 24mm lens you sometimes need to get closer to a person if you want to fill the frame. Now when they are fast walking or sprinting through a train station and you need to cut them off at the pass or move directly in front of them while shooting-composing blindly, things can get complicated. Then you have to factor in all the other people moving in multiple directions around you.

I Ended up doing pretty well, had only one outright collision (with a younger man) during my 2 weeks of doing this shark attack type of picture making. I say shark attack like because many times I would stand on the edges, see a salaryman I wanted to photograph then pounce on him charging on in to get a side view or cutting directly in front of him or a group of people to get a frontal shot. At times I felt a bit predatory in my approach or shark like.