Friday, May 6, 2016

The Birthday Party

A big event occurred at the dump today, a birthday party for a young boy. There was a large rented metal, cloth roof structure set up to provide shade along with 4 connected tables and benches to sit on. On one side the woman cooked and prepared the soup dishes which were in two super large metal bowls. There was a stacks and stacks of prepared rice/chicken in Styrofoam and plastic bags on the first table.

I was invited yesterday and today showed up with some assistance. I was photographing in one area of the dump and slowly making my way to the party area when I young boy said "JERRRIII" to me then grabbled the little pinky on my right hand and lead me to the party. He held my pinky for a long time (I was not going to get away!) until we were halfway to the party, then he let go and walked beside me the rest of the way with 2 other young boys.

The party was a gas, lots of people, lots of strange custom stuff and great food. I was given a curried rice with chicken and a vegetable soup (1 1/2 bowls with more offered). They even gave me a bottle of water with ice in a metal cup and a small cloth to wipe my greasy hands after eating the chicken. The food was delicious, I had already had a breakfast so it was difficult to finish everything but I managed to eat everything. I thanked everyone, especially the old man who invited me. He seemed very happy.

At the party there was a little donation bowl and all people who visited put in some money in (to help pay for the event?, birthday present?). When I went over I saw a bowl filled with 20 baht notes and 1 - 100 baht note. I gave 2 more 100 baht bills, yesterday I had also given the young boy 100 baht.

I was at the party for about 1 1/2 hours, when I was there about 50 people attended. Some of the faces I knew and we greeted each other , smiled or talked a bit (many asked if I had eaten). Others at the party I did know and were complete strangers to me. I believe the larger Burmese (Karen) community had been invited. There was a ton of food left when I went to catch my ride home. I think this was an all day that that several hundred people probably attended. Quite a fun day, totally different than most things I see at the dump.