Tuesday, May 17, 2016

Faces From The Dump

Today even thou I have returned to my normal work life in Canada my mind is flush with memories from the dump. The faces of the people I met there keep flashing through my mind. What are they doing? What is happening to them now? Where will they be in the future? Somehow my life in Canada does not seem quite so real now. I feel that I should be back in the dump, doing my thing there, not here working security in Canada.

One young boys face comes back to me again and again. He would follow me around as I photogrpahed, pretending to take a small bag I had (he hoped I would chase after him). He would laugh and point and jump when I was near, he would speak and stare and get excited at any reply I made. He was being taken care of by an older woman, probably a grand mother (who was afraid to be photographed) and a younger baby sister. I never saw any parents near him, he seemed so in need of a father. I ended up giving toys, a headlamp and 2 bags of food to that family. Not nearly enough but better than nothing.

What is that boy doing now? Will he have a healthy happy future? A family? A kind wife? Good children? My mind filled with these thoughts for him and others. It is hard to return to my Canada world, to much has happened. I have had to many experiences to make a return to what was normal before normal yet again.

The young boy from blog story ( lower quality digi snapshot converted to b/w), Mae Sot dump May 2016