Friday, May 27, 2016

Big Library Used Art Book Buy

Bought 4 boxes of art books today from my city library. The library has sales on books 3 or 4 times a year, this is my second in a row. The hard cover books go for $2 CAD each and the soft cover for $1 each. They also had a special section of big books individually priced from $10 to $15 each.

I bought huge older super sized volumes at $15 each.

- Van Gogh
- Rembrandt
- Raphael (who I know almost nothing about, except that he died young)
- Michelangelo

I ended up buying 24 hard cover art books (3 on photography). Some of these are very large and heavy, running 600-1100 pages long. Price $2 CAD a book.

I also bought 17 soft cover art books (4 on photography). Price $1 CAD a book.

The only downside in all of this is that they did not have many photography books for sale. 2 of the nicer hard cover photo books I bought I already own. At $2 a piece I thought it was worth getting a second copy. I intend to keep those books in my car to read during my security night shifts. Will go again next time they have a sale specifically targeting photography.

Ended up getting everything for around $125 not bad!! Hopefully I can continue to use these books to grow and learn as artist. Plus just having so much emotion, beauty and creativity around you at all times in intoxicating. You open up these volumes and you never know what you will find. So much wonder and beauty! So much humanity and soul on display. Then you read about the incredible commitment the artists had to their work and it is all so inspiring. You get off your lazy ass and get to work!