Tuesday, May 3, 2016

Shooting Families Up Close

Am currently photographing with the Rolleiflex and Leica M closer up to the people, in or near their homes. I want to build levels of trust that will allow me to photograph more extensively with the slower more difficult 5x7 and 120mm lens. Hoping to do family portraits with the view camera. This photo idea is heavily influenced by Walker Evans and his work with the Bud Fields family.

Getting up close and personal adds another element to the photographs and to my understanding of life here. It adds a depth to the work that just doing garbage digging photos does not have. Your are more connected to those you photograph, today a grandma from one of the dump shacks showed me a box of baby porridge cereal. She wanted me to buy something similar for her, I told her I would bring it tomorrow (think I did anyway my Burmese is so limited). Later I bought 2 boxes, will take one box to her when I return to the dump later today after my sleep. Hope its the right stuff, do not have any children and know very little about baby foods!