Saturday, February 7, 2015

The Speeches

Wes from the "Exposure Photography Festival", Larry and I took turns speaking (I was last). I think we all spoke quite well, the guests seemed to like it. Larry was especially eloquent, he spoke beautifully.

These public speaking moments are getting easier and easier for me. I was nervous waiting my turn but once I got started those fears mostly disappeared. We spoke from the stairs looking down on the crowd, there must have been 70 or 80 crowded onto the main floor listening.

I said my thanks, thanks to the guests, thanks to exposure, thanks to Larry and Joanna, thanks to my family and thanks to my subjects. I teared up a bit when I spoke of my dad. In the end 5 or 6 people complimented me on my little talk and my uncle even said it broke him up. I have never had anyone say that to me before, which was nice. I think with more practise the public speaking will get better and better.

Maybe someday I can be as effective a public speaker as a person like Edward Burtynsky, whose speaking I was in awe of a few short years ago. It mystified me how he could be so good, sound so professional and polished. Now his public speaking skills seem reachable, they seem possible to emulate, it might be a achievable goal.

Life is strange, for years and years I was terrified of speeches, and now I look forward to those moments. I guess we all change over time, things I found impossible in the past are more routine and easier now.