Sunday, February 15, 2015

Dad Today

Dad was better today and yesterday. We talked a bit today about his health, condos in Bangkok and other subjects. Earlier in dads illness as I found interesting condos I would print them out and bring them for him to look at. My father has always liked looking at homes and designing rooms and the like so he enjoyed the sheets I printed. Lately thou I did not want to bother him with this stuff but after todays talk I decided to print out another 6 for him to look at this coming week.

Dad is leaving my sister and myself some money after he passes so that money might go towards the purchase of a condo. Having dad in on the selection process is important, he can see where his money might go. Dad always believed in buying property so this sort of fits that vain. I might just save the money and use it to make photos with, sort of a living photography allowance but for now the condo dream thing is good for both me and my father. It distracts me from bad thoughts and it allows dad to see in a concrete way what all his hard work could-might purchase.

In typical dad fashion today he told me that he did not want to go to a nursing home (palliative care) because he worried how much it would cost and that it would be taking money away from his children. Not sure how the costs work on that sort of thing, the gov't might pay everything. The idea thou that dad would make sacrifices for his children even as he lay stricken in bed with terminal cancer, is dad to the bone. His entire life he put his children's needs in front of his own. Right now thou its a no brainer, everyone wants him to stay home as long as possible, maybe later we will have no choice but now no things are working out. We are all helping out as much as we can and mom is also going to get extra help coming in from the home care folks in town. Dad has a much higher standard of living, love and comfort at home than he would have in any hospital.

Today is one of those days, one of those conversations, I will remember after my fathers gone. "I do not want to go to a nursing home, it's to much money, it's better to keep the money for you and Jo (my sister). Why spend it on myself? For what?"