Sunday, February 15, 2015

"My Fathers Last Days" Series, Update

Over the last while I had not shot many photos of dad. It was a combination of obligations to my exhibition and limited photo opportunities with dad. I seemed to be taking the same pictures over and over again. The light was often quite bad in the house and my time with dad was limited.

Now thou things are on an upswing. Both yesterday and today I think I shot some good dad film. I also spent the morning developing up two rolls of Tri-x using Stand development (2 hour development with minimal agitation). At first glance some of these negs looked not bad. I will scan and post them tomorrow when I get off work and start my off work week.

I would also like to still do some large format pictures of my father. It is impossible for him to get into my studio and pose in front of the white background. I have been thinking what I need to do is take the camera to him and photograph him with the 8x10 or 5x7 in his hospital bed. If I do this, I need to get it done this week. Dads condition is owe so fragile these days, some days are terrible others (like today) still quite good. I need to photograph dad this coming week, as long as he is comfortable and agreeable to the idea.

I still need to do up 5 or 6 new photos for the "My Fathers Last Days" part of the Rosebud exhibition happening in September. I have all the "Families of the Dump" pics I need, and 8 dad pictures, but want to do up about 6 more then add and change out my selections. Some of this latest 35mm 800ASA stuff or the planned large format portraiture might make that final cut. Dad knows about the coming Rosebud show, so he is even more open to making new photographs than before.

It would be great to do some compelling portraits of dad in hospital bed with the large format cameras.