Saturday, February 7, 2015

Club Support For Promoting Photography In Edmonton, Pathetic

So out of the 25 or so photo folks I invited from two former clubs I belonged to (M and C). 3 current members turned up from one group, 0 from another. Another 2 former members showed up as well. That's a grand total of 5 people out of a group of maybe 35 possibles (counting former members). It is certainly not a mystery to me why photography as an art form is basically dead and going no where in Edmonton. With the pathetic levels of interest, support and passion these club members showed it's not too much of a surprise at all. A 5 person turnout out of  35 possibles, equals 14%. Only 14% of current and former members from those 2 clubs care whether the "Exposure Photography Festival" comes and stays in Edmonton.

It is such as shame, when a photography festival like Exposure comes for the first time to our city after being very successful for 10 years in Calgary and Banff to have such poor local support from Edmonton club people. You expect and hope for so much more from the local photographers. If they do not care, if they do not give a shit, if they are too lazy to get off the sofa, then Exposure dies in Edmonton, and we all lose out.

Still all told we had over 100 or so guests attend the opening which will hopefully camouflage the indifference of the established grumpy old geezer club(s) no shows. There was a decent turn out from my current club the Edmonton Society of Photographers and from Images camera club, so that's at least something. Hopefully next year we can get a few more photo club folks off their indifferent butts, get them out in public talking photography, producing work for galleries and doing a bit of the heavy lifting.

Sort of getting tired harping about this club thingy all the time, I need to forget about those folks and move on. The problem is when you love something as much as I love photography, it can be so frustrating to deal with those that lack passion, effort, enthusiasm and commitment. How can we ever get photography off the ground in Edmonton? I just don't see it happening.

Anyway enough of that negative crap, I can't let the bad grumpy people get me down. Tomorrow I will start posting photos and vids from the exhibition. I need to put the negative thoughts and emotions behind me and concentrate on the joys of photography.

Tonight's opening was beautiful, one of the highlight evenings of my life.

Have a great day everyone, today life is so beautiful!

"Ain't Photography Grand!!!"

Update* I should mention I got positive feedback from 2 club members from C who could not attend because they were out of the country.