Sunday, November 9, 2014

To Many Camera's. To Many Projects. What To Do? How To Do It?

I have a dilemma to many camera's. I do not mean I own to many, which I might. I mean I want to take to many cameras with me to Asia to work on to many different photo project.Here is a rundown on the current possible camera and project combinations for the next trip.

- Leica's, possibly 4 cameras, 3 M6 range finders (3 or 2?) and 1 R6 body with 21mm F2.8, 28mm F2 (?), 35mm F1.4 and 60mm F 2.8 lens. I would use these cameras to continue many different photo projects,"Families of the Dump", "Muay Thai Boxer", "Klong Toey Slum", "Migrant Worker",  "Lost Innocence" plus projects in Cambodia and Nepal.

- Linhof 5x7, 120mm lens F8, 210mm F.6 (?). I want to use up my supply of outdated 5x7 Tri-x. I would use the view camera to do portraits in "Families of the Dump", "Muay Thai Boxer", "Klong Toey Dump", "Khon Thai", "Migrant Worker" plus projects in Cambodia and Nepal.

- Hasselblad with 80mm lens, 55mm (?) , ring flash. I would use the blad to work on "Lost Innocence", "Muay Thai Boxer", "Families of the Dump".

- Canon 5D Mark II with 24mm F1.4, 24mm-70mm F.2.8 (?). No film needed which is a big bonus, no carrying heavy bags in Thailand, no worries about X-rays etc. I want to become better with this tool in the future, so I think it is almost a must take next trip. I can use it for most every project I am interested in, plus the unnamed gay sex tourist relationship project. Hmm what about a title like "Bought Love" or "" something like that might work. When I figure out a name the project is closer to being in the go for it category.

-Banarama (adapted Polaroid conversion camera) 4x5 with flash? I love several of the ladyboy portraits I made with this camera in 2010 and would like to do more in that series. The harshness of the direct flash look with large negative appeals to me. It is a look I have loved for years, so much like Arbus and Weegee.

- The new and cheap Olympus Pee EE? If I find I love this camera it might be another to add. It would take up almost no room and be very light so it could turn into a no brainer also. To shoot a more free less traditional compositional abstract style.

If you add up all the camera bodies, it would be like 9 machines!!! Plus a possible 10 lens. That is completely nuts! You got to add in a tripod (tripods?), heavy bags of film (35mm, 120, 4x5 and 5x7), spot meter (meters?), reflector etc.

If I go for 6 months taking a bunch of cameras is not a big deal, the problem is if I go for 7 weeks only, what do I take? What do I leave behind? I guess it comes down to which photo projects will take priority. At least 2 Leica range finders are a must in every scenario, the rest of these cameras are on the  bubble. The problem I am facing is I love so many looks in photography and love making pictures so much. Each camera system seems to add something unique that I love. I want to do everything all the time.

I need to focus more on certain tools, if I jump around from camera system to camera system I am doing no better than the folks I criticize who jump from film to film. I need to make simple choices and move on from there. I think I am being overly influenced by the toys of photography, all the shiny bells and whistles. I need to control and limit what I am trying to do. Only then will I be able to make great truly expressive photography.