Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Photo Story: Khun Owen In Klong Toey Slum

Since I cannot return to Thai and have some free time I thought I would revisit some photos and include some stories. 

"Owen 52 talking on a busy street, THE PEOPLE WHO LIVE UNDER THE FREEWAY, Klong Toey Slum, Bangkok Thailand 2019"
 
I met Khun Owen 3 times during my 2019 time in Klong Toey Slum working on THE PEOPLE WHO LIVED UNDER THE FREEWAY. On this occasion he was talking to himself and speaking to people passing by. He also spoke to me (see video link). He was breaking a piece of re-bar off of a block of concrete. I think he was going to sell the bar somewhere. He seemed not well, a bit erratic and possibly damaged because of substance abuse or mental health related issues. Quite often in Klong Toey you meet people who suffer from the effects of YAH BAH (crazy medicine) a drug that I am told fries your mind after extensive use. Khun (Mr.) Owen was kind to me, he accepted me and seemed to enjoy having his photo taken. I hope to go back and learn where he lives "under the freeway" and hope to learn more about life. That is of course assuming he is still with us in 2021. Life in the slum can be harsh, often when I return people I knew from earlier trips had passed, even people in their 50s like Khun Owen.