Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Photo Story: Boy Sleeping On The Ground In The Dump

Since I cannot return to Thai and have some free time I thought I would revisit some photos and include some stories. Here is the first.
 
"Boy sleeping on the ground with the flies in the dump, THE FAMILIES OF THE DUMP, Mae Sot, Thailand, 2013"
 
I arrived at the dump early that morning (following the advice of my friend Larry), it was roughly 5am when I got there. I handed out 2 bags of food to two dump shack homes. Then I wandered and made photos. It was 2013, my second trip to Thailand that year and probably my 10th or 11th visit to the dump. I found a group of boys sleeping in the open on the ground, there were lots of flies buzzing about and landing on their faces and hands as they slept. They were new to the garbage dump, recently arrived from Burma, so had no shelters to live in. This boy had a grace and beauty to him, even thou he lived in an ugly world. Later on after he woke up, he was shy and quiet, and said nothing. He never complained, this was normal for him.