Saturday, March 6, 2021

New-Used Metal Cases

I am continuing the preparation for the long term AMBROTOS KANATA photography project. To the end I am looking at getting me some plastic or metal transport cases second hand. I need these cases to safely store and transport the gear I will be taking with me to far off parts of Canada. The cases need to be strong enough to take the abuse of countless drops, bumps and potholes. I also need to protect my lens, cameras and other sensitive photo gear from dust, rain etc.

Here are some metal cases I am looking at buying, I have 4 buys in the works, 1 for $40 CAD that should be (30x34 inches) a large heavy duty metal case that will allow me to transport my 16x20 Chamonix safely. I might also be able to use it with the HF2024 camera. The other metal cases will be for lens and smaller cameras, light meters etc. The cases because they are used and somewhat beat up will be picked up for lower costs. I always buy used for this reason. I will probably have to cut and add my own foam to each box. A few years I found foam in the garbage that I plan to re purpose.

Note* The Pelican plastic style cases (or copy Pelicans) with rubber seals might serve me better but they are also more expensive, even when buying used. I will try these metal types first.

Note** I also like the handles of the metal cases better. They are small, strong, soft to the hand and snap back into place after use.

Two smaller cases, the larger measuring 26x20x8 inches