Tuesday, March 9, 2021

Photo Story: Cooking Breakfast In The Dump

Since I cannot return to Thai and have some free time I thought I would revisit some photos and include some stories. 
 
"Young win family daughter, helps cook breakfast, THE FAMILIES OF THE DUMP, Mae Sot, Thailand 2013"
 
This photo was made during my first series of trips to the dump in 2013. The Win family daughter was very young here, she was helping her her older cousin (?) cook breakfast. They fried up some eggs that in a wok over an open fire. This young girl is someone I have photographed many times over the years, in 2019 during my last trip to the dump I continued to photograph her and her family. The mother and father from the family have split up, the father now lives by himself in another area of the dump. The whole family works extremely hard, harder than any other family group I know in the dump. There are 3 daughters, 2 sons, a mother and father plus a grand father in the dump. I am not sure if the grand father is still alive, the last few trips to Thai I have not seen him. He was a grand and friendly man who had me take a picture of him posing with his prize pig! Check out the video to see a bit of the time with the family the day this photo was made.