Wednesday, March 31, 2021

Got Me A Nice Free Igloo Cooler From Work

Today has been a good AMBROTOS KANATA project gear day. First after 4 years my HF3535 arrived and today when I came to work my some nightshift some work friends had left me a large free (beat up but free) Igloo brand cooler. I had asked about the cooler 2 or 3 months back. This Igloo cooler retails new for $179.99 CAD at Canadian Tire. One of the latches on the cooler is broken as are the 3 rear hinges. I found generic replacements hinges and latches for $25.30 CAD on Amazon. Once I get those installed my new cooler (150qt size?) will be almost as good as new. I plan on using the cooler on longer trips to either store large amounts of Silver Nitrate or large amounted of premixed Collodion or Iodizer.

Note* I have found that if you store collodion in coolers it helps keep the ether/alcohol odors and dangers at bay. Protecting the silver nitrate bath from absorbing outside chemical fumes is also important.

Update* Figured out how to use this cooler. The plan is to insert 3 mat board tubes inside then to fill the empty cooler areas with expanding filler foam. I will then place 3-4500ml-5000ml glass bottles inside the tubes for safe transport. In the bottles I will carryall or part of my silver nitrate supply. The separation of the heavy duty glass bottles with the foam and the sturdy construction of the cooler should protect the very expensive silver nitrate liquid. Will post some pics of the finished "Silver Bath Transport Unit", later.

Freebee very large Igloo cooler, that I will repair and use for silver or collodion