Monday, March 8, 2021

Huge New-Used Metal Transport Case For AMBROTOS KANATA

Picked up a huge 30x34x10.5 transport case tonight. The case is old and banged up but still has many more years of use in it. I plan to use it to carry my HF2024 camera (20x24 inch view camera) when I am working on my 15 year cross Canada wet plate project. 

I will need to cut out some parts of the inner section dividers and re-foam the interior but I believe the case is a great addition, to the photo gear team. It will protect my beautiful HF2024 as we travel the bumpy roads across Canada. 

The woman who sold me the case claimed it cost $1000 CAD (probably an exaggeration), I paid $40 CAD. I am quite happy! Now I just need cases for the 16x20 Chamonix and the HF3535 cameras.

Update* The HF2024 might not fit in the box, it is 29.5 x 29.5 x 5.9 inches when folded without the knobs. The inside of the box without foam measures about 29.25 x 33.25 x 7 inches. So I might be 1/4 of an inch too small on one side!!! If I cannot fit the HF2024 in the case, I will instead use it to hold my Chamonix 16x20 with holders and a lens or 3.

Update** I just did some measuring and wrote up a little drawing. With the 16x20 camera I will be able to place the camera with 3 inches of foam on all sides, and have a 4.5 inch storage space at the top of the case. It will be a big box but should protect the Chamonix for years of effective use in the field. Got to love that for a $40 cost with some garbage found foam thrown in :). 

Chamonix 16x20 with brass lens.

HF2024 camera (20x24 view camera with movable back like a Linhof camera)
New $40 Transport 20x24 inch camera