Saturday, March 20, 2021

20x20 Inch Ambrotype Portrait Idea

Been thinking of a combination camera and lens to do, 20x20 inch close up ambrotype portraits. I would be using the HF3535 camera with its 8 foot bellows (allowing for close focus) along with the Voigtlander 655mm Series IV No. 7 lens.  The Voigtlander lens is supposed to be able to cover 20x20. Ross the person I bought the lens from in Vancouver used it on a 20x20 Chamonix camera.

The great unknown on this is how long the exposures will need to be. I will be shooting with a very long bellows requiring extra exposure. How long will that be? Can the subject hold still that long even with the assistance of the neck brace I will be using? Also what kind of depth of field are we talking about? It might be an inch or less.

There are lots of unknowns in this close up, large square format, ambrotype idea. Will it work? I might need to add additional UV light sources to shorten the exposure time, also waterhouse stops might need to be made for the lens to allow for smaller f stops (which also leads longer exposures).

I hope this idea can be done as it  is my soul portrait idea, for the project. I should be able to try making 20x20 portrait plates by June.

Note* Currently my thinking is the ambrotypes would be made on 3mm or 4 mm 20x20 using clear glass. I might at some future date change to black glass. Many of my online wet plate collodion friends prefer black glass to clear.

Note** Adding additional UV light sources to a portrait, in the field, might be difficult. When shooting in remote locations I would have to manufacture a power supply.

Filip with the HF3535 he built
Voigtlander Series IV No.7 655mm lens
A photo Ross made with the lens, the plate measures 20x20 inches The shot I am planning to make would be much closer, composing on the chin and the top of the head.