Tuesday, March 23, 2021

35x35 Silver Bath Box Price, From The Czech Republic

Got word from my Czech Republic builder on how much my 35x 35 inch silver nitrate tank to make 35x35 plates would cost. The total cost including eco, non insured shipping to Canada would be $863 USD. The price is expensive but not crazy expensive for such a specialty and very large type item. It would last the entire lifetime of the project and would be vital to its success. I think the quoted price is cheaper and of better quality than anything I could get made in Canada. I will need to save some money before making this purchase, am broke right now. As with most of this project, doing things bit by bit as I can afford them. That is OK thou, if it was easy everyone would be doing it :). Making personal sacrifices for the art you love is a beauty thing!

This 35x35 bath is one of things I need to get, a mandatory thing. I could try coating the plate in a tray but that is a recipe for failure, both on the plate and with the very very expensive silver nitrate solution (leaving it exposed and vulnerable). I have always found I do much better photography when I have better gear to use. It just makes things so much easier and repeatable. When I am off in far off locations spending tons of money making plates, the last thing I need to worry about is bath coating or silver nitrate spillage, contamination problems. This "Silver Bath Box" needs to be purchased by the end of the year, hopefully sooner. I might start shooting the 35x35 camera in a 27x35 format next. year sometime.

Note* If I was ever lucky enough to sell a single ULF 35x35 plate from the project, it would pay for this 35x35 bath box.

Note** I already own a 16x20 box from this builder and a 20x24 box is currently on its way from the Czech Republic. So I should eventually have 3 boxes made by him. Thanks Jara! Great to deal with you my friend.