Tuesday, October 24, 2017

Apartment Wild Kingdom

Thai has all kinds of little creatures and not little ones that as a Canadian I am not used to. In the kitchen just now as I was boiling some eggs I got to watch a jing jok (gecko) capture a fly in in the window area. The jing jok is quite smart, he knows that at night (like now) that insects will be attracted to the light. I think I will call my jing jok who loves to eat "Noodle".

Yesterday when I came home late at night, I found a super large grasshopper of some kind on my door. I touched it to make it move before I opened up my apartment and the thing spooked and jumped away from the wall and off the 5th floor balcony, disappearing in the abyss below. Did it survive? Who knows? It probably did.

Update* Thailand like most moist countries is a land of insects. I am trying to keep all the areas where I eat and store food very clean. I dispose of garbage quickly, pick up any dropped food, bread crumbs etc. I put most everything I have food wise inside my sealed little fridge. The idea is to keep the ants and cockroaches away. Any food of any kind that hangs around my room will attract ants and cockroaches. If that happens I have a big problem. I can take most anything but cockroaches, they really freak me out. None seen so far this trip, lets keep it that way!