Wednesday, October 25, 2017

A Unique Thai Moment

This probably falls into the too much information column, but here it goes!

So remember that very spicy fish I told you about? Well by the time I made it to the Lotus mall store I was paying for eating it,, my stomach was a gurgling quite a bit. Off to the washroom after asking for some help finding it.

Thais have the public mall washroom thing figured out very well. There are certain things Thais do very well, much better than in the world of Canada. Banks are great, you often can sit at a desk when dealing with your teller, they offer a wide variety of electronic services unavailable back home, great customer service etc. Another simple example is rolling walkway style escalators. they have the ability to lock down the wheels of your shopping cart. You can go down or up very steep escalator with a large loaded down shopping cart, hands free. Public washrooms in malls are also usually very well designed. They play loud music in the washrooms with exhaust fans a working hard, eliminating many evil sound effects (if you get my meaning) as well as diminishing many unwanted smells. Another public washroom benefit is the privacy, the doors are not filled with holes and large cracks and the stall sides and doors go down to about 6 inches off the floor. You have your own almost home like private throne to do your business on.

So I was on my throne doing the spicy fish business thingy when 2 Thai ladies in the washroom started laughing and telling jokes to each other in Thai. One of the weird parts of Thai public washrooms is that cleaning women can be in the washroom at anytime. They come right in and work along side the men using the facilities, this can be a bit off putting! You can be standing in a urinal or sitting in a throne stall and they will be right there with you (or almost). So I am working hard and CONCENTRATING when I hear all the joking and laughing going on just a foot or so outside. Then I see a blue mop come sloshing through under my front door and on the floor at the side in the stall next to mine. The mop is mopping the women are joking, and I am losing my concentration. This is as I said earlier rather distracting.This goes on for about 5 minutes. Slosh, mop in, mop out, joke,, giggle, laugh, jabber, jabber, jabber, slosh, giggle, laugh, laugh, sloshity slosh, slosh.

Only in Thailand! At least the washrooms are almost always clean!