Friday, October 27, 2017

The Families Are Teaching Me Burmese, My Head Hurts!

I have started a program of learning to speak Burmese. With over 100 teachers, in the dump, how can I fail? Will do my best and see how it goes. Had so many words fed to me today, I am a bit dizzy with it all. Still in even the short time since the learning has started, things have improved rather dramatically, there is an added connection happening. I feel that this trip my interaction and closeness to the families might improve 10 fold, or even 100 fold. Language, the ability to talk, to share stories, ideas, feelings is extremely powerful.

I had a longer talk in Thai with a Burmese lady today in the new living area for the families. We were able to joke, learn from each other, talk about many things. She works in Mae Sot and drives a bicycle there daily. Imagine if I could speak to everyone in the dump in there own language of Burmese. What could be done then! What new level of connection, trust and friendships would develop?