Thursday, October 26, 2017

Video: MAY-MO-DEE

Here is a short video of a boy in the dump digging out fruit to save (forget his name now have to ask again, I have trouble remembering Burmese names). He was helping me learn the word ORANGE in Burmese, LAY-MO-DEE (you go up in tone on the DEE). A wonderful boy who comes from a large family with many children. The little girl I think might be from the family as well, not sure never met her before yesterday. She did not say much. I have noticed that quite often the young girl children in the dump families are much more quiet, almost mute compared to the much more active, vocal and playful boys. A bit of a generality but it seems to be the case more often than not.

In my first few dump visits I have noticed more people eating directly out of the garbage (children mostly, sometimes scolded by parents). The young boy is also in the attached picture made in late 2015. I managed to step on a nail seconds before I made the shot, went through my boot and grazed my left foot drawing blood. Got the shot thou!!

Just going to have a bite of cold chicken with bread to eat with  milk before heading back to the families. Yesterday the sun in the dump at 3pm was much too hot, felt like I was melting. Am aiming to arrive closer to 330pm today, it gets too dark to shoot around 630pm. Will take another food donation bag. I have a set of boots to deliver also but am unsure where the man lives who ordered them. I will keep then in my room until I find him again then can deliver the boots the next day.

Thanks to all those back in Canada and in the USA (forgot to mention the USA in an earlier blog, sorry LH), who donated funds to help the people here.

Note* The boy is gathering up some fruit found in a garbage dump bag, for later use.