Monday, October 23, 2017

Amazing First Day In The Dump

I went to the dump this morning at 6am with Pee Noy. I was surprised how much had changed. The garbage dump seemed much smaller, significantly taller but smaller in overall size. Much of what I had known before was now gone, a whole section of the dump homes, the oldest part was simply gone, there were large unbroken piles of garbage where the homes had been. It had all just disappeared, it was very shocking to me. Every time I return to the dump, major changes have occurred.

I went later for a walk in a new area I knew a bit about but not much. Four or five young boys took me on a walk through the new shack living area. I think the shacks and the families mostly now all live in an area created by Fred Stockwell and his group eyestoburma. The new housing place was cleaner than living nearer the garbage but rather congested and the homes seemed smaller than I remembered from before in the dump. Many but not all the homes seemed to have power of some kind, there was even a few little satellite dishes in some areas (for TV?) along with what looked like water piping. It looked to be a real mixed bad, every home seemed a bit different, not sure everyone had all of the benefits but some certainly did.

One area that was completely poor just like before, maybe poorer was the swamp shack area (see video). There was no power, no water piping, no satellite dish stuff of any kind there. It looked barren. desperate and forgotten and seemed a very difficult place to live. I am not sure how many families lived in that place, probably from 5-10, it was hard to tell.
YouTube Swamp Shack Area Of The Dump

I am also not sure if there is still night time work being done in the dump. I did photograph some dump work today but it was only 2 small garbage trucks and work group of 12-15 people. I will find out more of what is going on in the months to come, will post updates as I learn them.

A difficult but rewarding first day.