Friday, September 1, 2017

Removed Dads String

In November of 2015 after having many bad dreams about the death of my father I went to a Buddhist temple in Thailand to pray for him. I am not a true believer, Buddhist person etc but I figured it could not hurt. I said goodbye to dad in my prayers and that thanked him for being a great father and told him I loved him. At the end of the ceremony a Buddhist monk attached a blessed string to my right wrist. I have worn it ever since. The strange thing was that after I prayed for dad at the temple my bad dreams subsided (only 2 or 3 over the next year). The number of nightmares were cut down dramatically and replaced with more happy dreams.

Tonight after my artist talk, after speaking of my father at the gallery I cut off that string. It is time to move on with my life. It felt like it was the proper time to cut the string. I placed it on a photo of my father in my darkroom.

Dad will always be a part of me, everything I am is because of him.

Here s the original Buddhist prayer blog entry:
https://gerryyaum.blogspot.ca/2015/11/praying-at-temple-for-dad.html