Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Facebook: Camera To Take? Leica M4P?

Been trying to figure what cameras to take to Thai. I am going heavy 35mm this trip. I like the way you can capture action and slight variations in composition quickly and smoothly. The cameras are also light and fast to use. I prefer film cameras (Tri-x) to digital because of the darkroom aspect to the prints. Going large with grain on fiber paper in a condenser enlarger (contrasty sharp light) then bleach heavily and tone. A wonderful look to that type image. Tonight at work got my Leica M4P camera body with a 28mm f2 lens and a 50mm F1.4. I have not shot the Leica MP4 much but it is such a well built mechanical joy to use, why not take it? So far I have 5 cameras and 6 lens chosen to take with me to Thai. I will probably cut back on that number to save on weight. 6 months is a long time thou and it is good to have several backups available. The cameras include 2 Leica R6 SLRs, 3 Leica Rangefinders 2x M6 and 1xM4P. Lens I might take include M 21mm F2.8, R 24mm F2.8, M 28mm F2, M 35mm F1.4, M 50mm f1.4, R 60mm F2.8 and a R 2x Extender. I black tape all the LEICA NAME parts on my camera bodies to try to avoid attention. Leica film cameras even in this digi age are expensive and valuable! The panoramic Hasselblad Xpan might also come into play, thou I struggle composing with it.  

The b/w pictures were made with a rangefinder Leica and I believe (?) the 28mm f2- 35mm F1.4 lens back in 2013 at the dump. A family going through and organizing their dump recyclable work, everything into its own pile. The other 2 photos are some of the dump children, the young girl was standing in front of where she was going to sleep that night with her family of 5, dad, mom, younger brother and a baby.

My old rarely used Leica M4P with 50mm F1.4 and 28mm f2 lens
Family group working, Mae Sot dump, Thailand 2013
Baby being held by mother, Mae Sot dump, Thailand 2013
Young girl in front of family home, Mae Sot dump, Thailand 2013