Monday, September 25, 2017

Film Freezer, Bulk Film Count

Just found out my main film freezer is not working. It is located in my garage and was covered with many heavy boxes (buried), I did not know it was not working until tonight. I have 2 other freezers in my garage that were working, only the biggest one died. Not sure when it happened. A few of the boxes were still a tiny bit damp from the unfreezing process, so it probably happened a month or two back (less than 6, I think). I hope the film is OK, I will use film from that freezer for my coming Thai trip, both 8x10 and 35mm bulk films. The garage is a cool dark place, the freezer even when not working is an insulated sealed box. I think everything should be fine. I am more worried about the age of some of the 35mm bulk stuff, most outdated in 2013, a few in 2012. I also have 35mm bulk Tri-x rolls in a working freezer that outdate 2016, but will save those for future trips.

Forgot how much bulk film I actually have. turns out I have tons of the bulk film in my freezers, getting older by the day. I will take 20 or 100 foot boxes with me to Asia. Better to overshoot there, then let die a slow unused death here in Canada.  It is way better to have too much film , then not enough. I will give up space for other things to take my film with me.

I cleaned the garage area someone, fiddled with the non working freezer. Will let everything sit overnight, if it does not get cold I will transfer all the film  to my moms home. Dad has many freezers there that he used during his farmers market cooking days. I can store everything at moms, while I am photographing in Thai.