Saturday, September 23, 2017

Photo Story: Another, Another Found Negative

Here is another found negative from the recent "Families of the Dump" scanning. I have photographed this man a number of times over the years at the dump.. In 2013 he would ask me to bring him a high caffeine energy drinks and later a beer. One time on seeing me for the first time in 2015 he was unhappy with me making photos (he forgot me) and said something angry to the people working around him. I then gave him some pictures from the 2013 negatives (portraits of him) and he was shocked and surprised to see them. I think at that point he remembered who I was, he looked at me closely 2 or 3 times. After that photography was OK again. He always had the watery looking eyes of a heavy drinker, one time I saw him drink out of a 1/2 empty old bottle of pop that he had picked up directly out of the garbage as he worked. It looked like a cola of some kind.That act, drinking what he found under the filth was symbolic. I think about that moment quite often as an example of the tragedy of poverty, of waste and desperation.

Tech Stuff: Lecia M6 with 50mm F 1.4 lens (?). Tri-x film developed 2/1 for 12 min 30 seconds at 20C in D76. Print will be on warmtone Ilford FB.

Update* I think at a future exhibition of the "Families of the Dump" photography, I will print an image of this man. I have several that I like to choose from. His is an important story, that needs to be told.

Man with cowboy hat, Mae Sot garbage dump, Thailand 2013