Thursday, September 21, 2017

Photo Story: Another Never Printed Found Negative

Here is another forgotten negative, found in the latest scanning crazyness. It was made back in 2013, this little girl is a bit bigger now, she belongs to a dump family I photograph quite often (see second photo). The smile on the young girls face as she plays with her found doll was lovely. I wanted to include some less glum moments in the "Photography Forum" magazine submission. Children can be happy anywhere, even surrounded by garbage, cockroaches and flies. The mother from the family has asked me for rice on occasion, the father always works hard, very nice folk. They always have treated me great, saying hello, worried one time when I hurt myself and was limping etc. I am eager to meet them again soon, if they have not moved onto a better life. In the second picture they are in the home they lived in at that time. The dog in the corner of the group shot was not so wild as many are in the dump, sort of a family friend. I would see it quite often near their home. I hope to do more of these family group shots next trip, the photo is inspired by the great photographer Walker Evans, Bud Fields family picture.
1936 Bud Fields Family Shot By Walker Evans

Young girl, Mae Sot Dump, Thailand 2013, 35mm negative
Young girl with family, Mae Sot Dump, Thailand 2016, 5x7 negative