Sunday, June 12, 2016

Why Make Photos?

Photographs why make them? Tonight I went to a photo salon for the group I belong to ESP, EDMONTON SOCIETY OF PHOTGRAPHERS. There was lots of intense discussion about art, what makes a photograph, how to get others to feel your images. We discussed things like how personal memories and prejudices cloud your judgement of what is a good photograph and what is not. Etc. Etc.

My opinion is that for me personally all that high brow intellectualization of art is a non starter. All that trying to think out and explain art, to get others to feel your art seems a bit misguided. Why do I make photographs? Why do I make art? Simple, I have to!! When I don't create, I feel bad, when I do, I feel good. It is that easy! Of course I want others to connect and feel the work (is not all art about feeling and emotion?) but I cannot let worrying and catering to Bob and Betty mislead me from my goal. I have to satisfy only Gerry, I have to do what I feel is right. If others are not moved, if their feelings differ from mine, so be it!! Who gives a fuck!! Everyone can feel what they feel, such is life.

As an artist I have to follow my heart regardless of the OPINIONS of others. The only one I need to make happy is Mr. Gerry. Everything else will follow it's own course. If you are true to yourself as a creative person things will eventually work themselves out.

Listen to your heart folks, you'll never go wrong!