Tuesday, June 7, 2016

A Meeting At The AGSA

Today I went down for a 11am meeting with Jenny the curator of the Art Gallery of St. Albert. We discussed the current show and my coming group show. Here are some details I learned today about the AGSA submissions, and what I can expect.

- For 2017 there were 84 submissions to the gallery. There will be 10 exhibitions with 3 group shows and 7 one person shows in the 2017 season at the AGSA.

- The other 2 artists will be showing with. One is presenting a projection piece(s). It will be hospital gowns with images projected onto them. The second artist will be showing fibre - weaving- embroidery cartoon type work (48 inch large). The cartoons are based on the experiences she and her husband had when he was diagnosed with cancer (he is now cancer free). Her work is currently on a tour of England.

- I can expect to show probably 6 or 7 prints (I might be doing 20x24 images matted larger in white frames).

- My idea of having a show book should work. The current artist showing at the Gallery (Gerry Dotto) has 3 books on display. Will start designing that soon.

- I need to do  a detailed interview Jenny for the show catalog. The extended interview will happen around July of 2016.

- I will need to have some finished work ready to show her 5 or 6 months before the exhibition.

- I will need to bring in the all finished framed-matted photographs 2 weeks before the show.

- The exhibition is expected to run August 3rd-September 2nd 2017.

I am definitely moving up in gallery weight class here. Things are more complex and detailed than before. This is going to be fun!!!! It will be so nice to be making  large exhibition prints again. Let the work begin!

"Ain't Photography Grand!!"