Monday, June 20, 2016

Photo Idea: World Slums

I had an idea tonight at work, another possible photography project, Slums. I would travel the world (starting with Asia, Thai, Laos, Burma, Cambodia, Vietnam, Philippines, India, Bangladesh) with my large format gear (16x20?) shooting slumscapes. Detailed ULF (Ultra Large) format images that tell the stories of wear the poor of the world live. So many photographers (TOO MANY) only shoot pretty pictures with their ULF gear, why? How many pictures of rocks, trees, mountains and streams can we make? It is either that or shooting the same same pretty photogenic decaying houses and buildings.

Why does every dude and dame pretty much always, always, always shoot the same pretty but boring shit? Why not try to do something new/different/unique with real human content. Why not shoot something that tells an important humanitarian message? Truman Capote reinvented the fiction novel when he wrote "True Blood" (he called it a non fiction novel). Why not try and reinvent the ULF view camera by trying to photograph a very different and extremely important subject?

Now all I got do do is think of a snazzy name for the project.

Note* Think I had an idea like this before, somewhat similar, this time thou it seems more possible. I have the camera sitting in my basement. I have 16x20 film on order (Ilford HP5 50 sheets) and in my freezer (Agfa 10 sheets). I bought a Nikon 450mm (Q) F9 am inquiring and bidding on various other lens, and am looking into holders and tripods. I should have all the ULF gear I need by summers end. Will try and start doing ULF format work by the fall of this year. Meaning that I could potentially be shooting ULF in Asia in the slums early 2017.

Oh yeah got to make me a documentary movie also! : ))

Update* Would it be possible to do Platinum prints of these photographs? That would really be something. Sublimely meaningful prints with an amazing tonal range telling important non traditional stories. Maybe we could then raise money to donate to various people and organizations in the slums. If I could help my subjects and create 100 such photos, then I could die happy! : ))

Having lots of ideas and dreams tonight, not sure any will come true. Dreams sometimes lead to concrete things, hopefully that is the case here.

"Ain't Photography Grand!!"