Friday, June 24, 2016

Bought A New Process Lens With Shutter

I bought a new process lens combined with shutter. The lens is a Ilex Paragon process lens in a No. 4 Acme Synchro shutter, 21 1/4 inch, F/10 (12.5 with shutter). I know the Paragon Process covers up to 14x17 and might do 16x20. Online the lens gets very good reviews. I am not sure this is a great buy but it might turn out that way. The lens/shutter with shipping to Canada cost $335 USD.

The seller of this lens is a landscape photographer who happily used this lens for 30 years. It is reputed to be very sharp (online claim) with very larger coverage. The 21 1/4 inches makes it about a 530 lens.

Note* The only issue with this cheaper lens/shutter combo is that the B/T shutter settings require careful operation. I will have to figure out the best way to do long exposures, which I will not doubt be doing extensively with this lens and ULF shooting. A photographer I admire who is a ULF shooter, Alan King out of Calgary has told me that the average shutter speed he uses is around 10 seconds.

Ilex Paragon Process lens with Acme Synchro shutter