Friday, June 17, 2016

The Paramount Importance Of Story And How Everyone Counts

I have been thinking of the "importance of story" in a group of photographs. Many photographers create photographs for the sake of the picture alone. They bring a combination of light, composition and decisive moment working together and create a photograph. That type photograph can have strength and individual power but I also feel it is often missing something, a story.

A story is the background behind the lives in the picture. The larger theme that tells a bigger tale than any single image can. When I make a single photograph in the dump, it might have individual strengths but who really cares? It is the stories, the themes, the lives behind the pictures that matter. The cumulative effect of 10 or 20 or 100 images working together is what I am after. The themes of the subject (people) have to be put first.

What I am seeking is to tell a larger tale, a more important larger theme and story. What are the peoples lives like? Who are they? What makes them tick? What is their life like? What are the conditions around them? That is one of the reason I feel everyone in your story deserves to be photographed not just the most photogenic types. If as a result the photographs-subject are not as unique not as STRONGLY VISUAL-ARTISTIC LOOKING, so be it, I tried my best. What is most important is telling their STORY, whether that is about life as a sex worker or a slum or dump resident. What needs to be told is that persons story, I need to concentrate on that, not my need (vanity?) to make the most pretty pictures.

I guess the best combo would be to use the elements of light, comp and timing along with story to make your pictures. The problem is as I see it that many photogs ignore the story if the other picture parts are not there. You need to ignore the other elements and try to the best of your ability to tell the story, you owe your subject that. Being a social documentary photographer means the people, ALL people come first.

I feel with my work that I first need to go for story even if the other elements are not there. To ignore the people, to ignore their story just because they are not photogenic enough or the light is wrong or whatever seems wrong on several levels to me, even abusive in a way. The social documentary photographer owes his subjects, he has to try to tell their story regardless of everything else. Do the best with what you got, they are more important than your artistic needs, their lives matter, you owe them. Tell their story first! Make do with what conditions and subjects you have and do the best you can!

 I believe as I recently quoted President Obama speaking of the Orlando mass killing.

"It's a good time for all of to us reflect on how we treat each other and to insist on respect and equality for every human being."

We as social documentary photographers need to apply that same principle, respect and equality for every human being photographed. Lets tell big stories, lets put people first, with multiple photographs of everyone!