Sunday, June 5, 2016

Good News, We Got A Group Show

I got some good news today. Earlier I sent out 2 submissions of work, "Forgotten Laughter" and "My Fathers Last Days" to the AGSA, the Art Gallery of St Albert. Today I got news that the AGSA is going to include some of the photographs (how many?) from "My Fathers Last Days" in a exhibition. The show will be August, 2017.  The work will be showing in this GROUP exhibition with 2 other artists, and we will be splitting the CARFAC fee (how much?) 3 ways. The money earned will help pay for some new higher quality framing I want to buy.

I am down that I cannot show "Forgotten Laughter" yet again but feel very happy I get to bring my father back for a short time with this latest exhibition. This is the 4th time the "My Fathers Last Days" photographs will be exhibited (Louie Gallery, Rosebud Exhibition, Open Alberta and now AGSA).

The AGSA is a step up in gallery weight class, it is a very nice space with an important and long history. I am finally exhibiting in the ACRONYM level spaces (AGSA=Art Gallery of St. Albert). I am proud to be part of this 3 person group show, dads voice will be heard once more.

I guess this shows that if you do not get too too down good things do happen. A few days ago I got a kick in the balls from Dawson City, today a pat on the back from St.Albert! Good things do happen if you keep at it and do not give up. To quote Muhammad Ali "Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them — a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have the skill, and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill." and Kevin Costner "Real heroes are men who fall and fail and are flawed, but win out in the end because they've stayed true to their ideals and beliefs and commitments."It is so important to not let your "Will" be conquered and to to "Stay true to your ideals".

Now if I can just get "Forgotten Laughter" exhibited some place, I will be at peace. I need to get those stories told, I owe it to the dump families, to those elderly, adults, teens and children. I have to keep submitting "Forgotten Laughter" (all the new undeveloped work) until I can find an ACRONYM level gallery to show the photographs and get those voices heard.

Note* I guess what I learned at the free artist submission workshop I went to earlier this year at this same gallery, really did help. Am now going to be showing at that gallery. Dad will be on their walls, a piece of him living again :))). I wish he could see the show with me. My father continues to live on through these photographs, that is beautiful and comforting to me, to mom and to others who loved him.

Update* Kind of ironic the big submission I sent to the AGSA was "Forgotten Laughter". I just snuck in a submission of "My Fathers Last Days." on a last minute whim.  I made it up quickly in less than a day. Guess it's a good thing I did it! I would have been doubly depressed if I had missed out at both the Dawson city and the AGSA. The split up CARFAC artist fee money from this exhibition is another belated gift from my father. Thank you dad.

Update** I hope the printing of this new show does not lead to intense dad dreams, nightmares etc like they did the last time.

AGSA, the art gallery of St. Albert
Here is the good news AGSA group exhibition email:

Dear Gerry,

Sorry for such a late note about the progress of your 2017 submission. We found your submission very moving and powerful and would be honoured to show your work as part of a group exhibit with two other artists in 2017.

It would mean we’d be looking at showing select works from the My Father’s Last Days. The current tentative plan is for an August exhibit in 2017, that would run until Sept 2.

We pay fees in line with CARFAC recommendations (for this show a solo fee split three ways).

The other two artists reflect on the illnesses and mortality of loved ones as well as the experience of patients in the medical realm. One artist uses embroidery and the other would show a print installation piece. The show would examine themes of loss and how the artistic process helps mediate this difficult time.

Let me know your preliminary thoughts and we’ll go from there. I wanted to call and discuss but I have run out of time so am emailing to let you know the news.

I look forward to talking to you next week, let me know if there’s a good time to call.  

Have a great weekend.

Best regards,
-------
------- -------- -------
Director/ Curator
Art Gallery of St. Albert