Tuesday, June 21, 2016

3 Lens? 2 Lens? 1 Lens?

I am thinking of eventually getting 3 lens for my 16x20. A wide, normal and telephoto. 2 lens might be enough but 3 would offer a bit more compositional options. Sturges uses 1 lens for all of his work, last trip in Asia I used 1 lens with my 5x7 (120mm) and I loved it. Using 1 lens simplifies everything, you get to learn that lens and move on from there.

Maybe that is what I should do, get 1 lens for the 16x20, shoot that lens for a year or 2 and see what happens. Sometimes having too many options is a bad thing. Quite often I have too many options which interferes with the picture making. I know hobbyist photographers who will carry 8 even 12 lens into the field, thats fricking bonkers. Maybe I will go with 1 lens and the 16x20 for a year and see what happens.