Tuesday, June 28, 2016

"Healing Process" Exhibition Update Email

Here is the email I received from Jenny at the AGSA today. I think the photo of dad included might have triggered today's dream. There is info and links to the other two artists in the. Please check out their websites if possible.

As you can see this gallery is a step up the ladder, hopefully this will lead to new bigger shows in larger venues. Thanks dad for helping me yet again (my father spent his whole life helping his kids) You let me deal with your loss through the work and now your allowing me to continue to tell the story we created together.

I hope all of you out there in internet land can come and see this exhibition, here are some details on the work and artists.
------------------------

Dear Darian, Elizabeth, Gerry,
 ................
I have had the chance to talk/ meet with you all and thought I would do a virtual introduction so you can see one another’s work that will form the group exhibit that will run from August 3 to September 2, 2017.
As I have discussed with you all the show will involve a medical theme and would examine themes of illness, loss, experiences while in medical care and how the artistic process helps mediate or narrate this difficult time. The working title for the exhibit is “Healing Process”.
As time goes on I’ll work with you each to curate your involvement in the show, the amount of pieces and final selection, as well as ensuring I am able to glean information about the work and your processes so that I am best able to serve the public and provide interpretive information for them.
Here a very short synopsis on each of your work. I have attached links or images accordingly:
Darian Goldin Stahl
·         Darian just finished up her Master of Fine Arts in Printmaking at the University of Alberta and will be based in Montreal later this year working on a PhD in Humanities (Fine Arts) at Concordia University
·         For this group show we will feature Darian’s work “MRI IN USE.”
·         This project focuses on the complex emotions that accompany the patient experience of being scanned. Darian is most interested in the tension between the living, moving, three-dimensional body and the sterile, diminutive internal medical scans. She aim is to restore this fractured sense of identity by joining embodied hospital gown prints with the shadows and movements of gallery attendees to rehumanize the patient experience. This arts-based research is a collaborative cycle of informing and reconstructing identity with her sister, who is a Clinical Bioethicist at Michigan State University and has multiple sclerosis
·         The installation features life-sized photographic prints of standard hospital gowns that are twisted, falling, or crumpled—“a gesture that points to the unease my sister feels while being scanned in the hospital. I then project the resulting medical scan’s text overtop of the printed gowns. Ultimately, the viewers themselves become a part of piece, as their bodies catch the projection, cast shadows over the swaying prints, and act as the human proxy missing from the empty, floating gowns”.
·         We will also potentially incorporate some smaller prints and books
·         www.dariangoldinstahl.com
Sima “Elizabeth” Shefrin
·         "Embroidered Cancer Comic is the story of Elizabeth's life with her husband, folk singer Bob Bossin, after his cancer diagnosis
·         The work takes the viewer through the artist's journey with her husband's prostate cancer
·         Statement from Elizabeth on these works: “As soon as we learned that my husband, Bob Bossin had prostate cancer we started making cancer jokes. Every time we laughed, one of us said, “That goes in the comic.” I am a fabric artist so I got out my needle and started stitching”
·         Embracing humour, the artist addresses this challenging subject
Gerry Yaum
·         Gerry is an Edmonton-based social documentary photographer who has participated in numerous solo and group exhibitions in North America and Thailand
·         In the works we will display at AGSA (My Father’s Last Days), Yaum, photographs and documents the last 13 months his father’s life as he died from pancreatic cancer
·         The works are Silver Gelatin photographs and will be approximately 16x20”
·         Statement from Gerry on these works: “This was our last shared experience, our last time as father and son. These photographs detail my attempt to understand what dad was going through and my way of saying goodbye to him.”
·          www.gerryyaum.blogspot.com
If you would rather I email your contract to you please let me know.
I’m looking forward to working with you all on the show.
Jenny
J----- W-----M-----
Director/ Curator
Art Gallery of St. Albert
-------------
-------------
Description: Description: Description: agsa sml logo


Gerry Yaum
Sima “Elizabeth” Shefrin
Darian Goldin Stahl
Note* On a side note, ever notice how many art people have 3 names.