Monday, March 30, 2015

Link: Reviewing Some Thai Words

I am going over some Thai words today that I will need to use with my subjects. When people ask me why I am photographing I always tell them I am trying to record Thai culture and that the work is my attempt at creating art for a gallery. I tell them I want the farang (Westerners) back home in Canada to learn about their lives and understand who they are as people.

Today's renewal verbage

Art/Sin-Lau-Bau/ศิลป
Gallery/Hoh-Sin/หอศิลป์
Culture/Waut-Tun- Nau-Tum/วัฒนธรรม

For those of you out there who want to learn Thai, here is a great site. I would suggest if you really want to study properly you meed to learn how to read and write in Thai as well as speak. I learned to read Thai font (child like but I can do it) several years ago and have found it invaluable. Plus whenver a farang writes anything in Thai it impresses the hell out of local Thai people which allows you to make friends quickly.
http://www.thai2english.com/