Saturday, August 8, 2020

Trying To Buy Chemicals From Asia For My Wetplate Project

I have been looking for sources of chemicals in Asia. One of the big difficulties in doing ULF size 35x35 inch collodion plates is the cost. You often hear other photographers say a plate this or that large size costs $500 USD or $500 Euro. Those huge numbers are FRIGHTENING! Imagine the cost of screwing up!! I have been searching online sources looking for chemical suppliers in India and China that I could try. Their pricing is cheaper, sometimes a lot cheaper for the same CAS number chemicals. I am not sure of the overall quality of these Asian sellers but I figured it is worth try, worth the gamble. I have already saved a lot of money by using another source for alcohol for the project. The Bio-Ethanol I am using is 1/7 the price of the same quantity of Everclear grain alcohol. Maybe I can get as lucky a second, third, forth time by getting various chemicals cheaper from overseas.

I checked with a PHD Laboratory friend here at work and he tells me that at least the  Ammonia Iodide should be OK for 5 years of storage. He also gave me a bunch of safe storage guidelines to follow, which I will follow. I have also read the MSDS sheets for all the chemicals in regards to hopw to handle them safely.

So far from various sellers in India and China I have places that will sell me.

India   - Cadmium Bromide CAS: 7789-42-6
            - Ammonium Thiosulfate (Rapid fix in powder form) CAS: 7783-18-9
China - Ammonium Iodide CAS: 12027-06-4
China - Silver Nitrate CAS: 7761-88-8


To get the deals done, I will need to buy these chemicals in 5 KILO SIZES. Even if I have extra chemistry left over  or it does not store longer than 5 years the  price is still much cheaper to buy this way. That is of course if the quality of the Asian chemicals matches what I can get in the Canada/USA and if the sellers are good to their word and do not cheat me.

Here's hoping this all works out! If it does my 35x35 plates will be quite a bit cheaper than the $500 USD per plate. $100? $200 CAD a plate? I always felt the $500 USD/Euro number I have heard is an exaggeration.

Note* I will also be using a clear glass on the Ambrotypes and cutting my own glass to size which should save some costs.

Update* The seller in India is asking for 15 Kilo buys of chemicals at one time!! If I buy 15 Kilos of Ammonium Thiosulfate it will cost $40.50 USD per Kilo, so that is $607.50 USD total ($813.50 CAD). That is one hell of a lot of Hypo. I hope this deal works out, hope the shipment makes it to Edmonton and I am not scammed, hope it is of good quality. Lots of HOPES there.

Update** More shipping worries, payment worries for the chemicals from India buy. This is not as easy as I thought it would be. I need to do some comparison pricing to make sure I am saving enough money to make the risks worthwhile. More to come!

Update *** The Indian seller also sells, Ammonium Bromide, Potassium Bromide, Cadmium Iodide, Potassium Iodide. Ferrous Sulfate and Sodium Thiosulfate. Some price are very good at the 5 kilo charge, some are more and quite a bit more than I get from Canadian/USA sellers. Lots to figure out.