Thursday, August 27, 2020

Hard Day Them Some Ambrotypes


Had a hard day of difficult chores and was quite tired but then at the end of the day I still managed to test out the new rubylith window in the trailer darkroom. It always amazes me how no matter how tired I am, how making photos rejuvenates me. Whenever I make pictures I seem to get a physical and emotional boost that pushes me through my tiredness. I have hope that this "joy for making photographs" will help me. when I dive into AMBROTOS KANATA full time, giving me the strength to create what I hope to create. The amount of work in a project like this is staggering. Image by image, day by day is the ticket.
The new darkroom trailer set up worked well. I did not have any fogging problems like last time out. Spent quite of time working on my silver last week, maybe that helped. With the trailer darkroom LED safe light on, with my head safe light lamp on, and with the two new large rubylith protected windows (a big side window and door window) and my painted red roof vent, THERE WAS NO APPARENT FOGGING ON THE PLATES. So all looks good so far with the rubylith windows. I might have problem on a very bright and sunny day but will have the option to double the density of the rubylith if that is an issue. Todays ambrotypes (2 om the same glass) were underexposed but still beautiful. See the attached images. Also tried my new head stand for the first time.
I love the way the subject seems alive inside the glass. I cannot wait to get out into the grand Canadian landscape and be making ULF Ambrotypes (photos on glass). What a joy life is, what a gift to have photography to do, and ideas and dreams to chase!!
Ambrotype from today.

Inside the new rubylith window trailer darkroom