Sunday, August 23, 2020

Quote: Chief Dan George (Actor, Poet, Muscian, Tribal Leader)

[at a celebration of Canada's 100th anniversary, July 1, 1967] 

"In the long hundred years since the white man came, I have seen my freedom disappear like the salmon going mysteriously out to sea. The white man's strange customs which I could not understand pressed down on me until I could no longer breathe. When I fought to protect my land and my home, I was called a savage. When I neither understood nor welcomed his way of life, I was called lazy. When I tried to rule my people, I was stripped of my authority. My nation was ignored in your history textbooks - they were little more important in the history of Canada than the buffalo that ranged the plains. I was ridiculed in your plays and motion pictures, and when I drank your firewater, I got drunk, very drunk. Oh, Canada, how can I celebrate with you this centenary, this hundred years?"