Thursday, August 13, 2020

Figured Out The Window Issues In Darkroom Trailer

I finally figured out a system that I think will work for the windows in the darkroom trailer.  I wanted to have the ability to go 100% black for loading and processing normal film and I wanted to be able to have filters on both the large door and wall windows to use as safe lights for wet plate.

The system I figured out uses a combination of magnetic tape and Velcro. Along the top edge of the double layered (still need to be sewn) black cloth I will use a 2 inch strip of Velcro to support the main weight of the cloth. Along the sides and bottom edges I will use magnetic tape. One side of the tape sticks to the wall, the cloth goes in between then a second magnet tape strip on top sandwiches everything together.

When the red filter is set up, the filter material (Rubylith) is held in place by the magnetic tape on all four sides. I like this magnet set up much better, it seems more secure. This morning when I went into the trailer the old taped to the door filter was laying on the floor. Because this new set up, there should be no more playing with gaffer tape problems, hope the magnet tape sticks well.


Note* I have 3/4 inch magnetic tape on order from China.
Note** I have the black material for the cloth ready to go but it needs to be cut to size and sewn together in a double layer which I hope will be thick enough block all the light, if not I will go to 3 layers.
Note***I painted the inside of the roof vent red which solved that  safe light problem. I will have to rig a small black there as well.
Note**** I can double the rubylith sheets if the light gets very bright.
Note***** Another bonus of this magnet filter system versus taped on filters is that I can remove the filter anytime I want and then open the window to allow air flow. Magnets and a filter are a lot easier to remove, than a filter taped to the door.

Update* On looking at the door window more carefully, I might have to have a black cloth that covers the entire door to prevent light leaks in the door frame.

Rubylith on door window, a much prettier and darker version than the taped on version red filter.