Monday, August 17, 2020

Big Chemial Buy

Am doing a large chemical order from a company in India. I will buy:

- Potassium Iodide 5 Kilos (Poe Boy Collodion)
- Cadmium Bromide 5 Kilos (Quinn Quick Clear Collodion and Gerry Colldion)
- Ammonium Iodide 5 Kilos (Quinn Quick Clear Collodion and Gerry Colldion)

Total cost including shipping to my home, $1305 USD.

These chemicals are salts involved with the making of collodion in the wet plate photographic process. I will be using the chemicals during my 15 year ambrotype Canada project, AMBROTOS KANATA.

This is a risk venture, first time dealing with company, quality of chemicals, long term storage of chemicals, duty charges on chemicals, how long will they stay viable after 5 years? etc. Lots of possible problems with ordering this much chemistry.

I think the buy is worth it because the potential savings are in the thousands of dollars range. If this works the cost of making ultra large ambrotypes measuring 35x35 inches will go way down.

I will follow the storage instructions that my PHD friend at the laboratory at work recommended. I will repackage the 5 kilos into smaller 500 gram and 1000 gram bottles, I will store in 1-4C temps (if I can), I will keep the chemicals in low humidity. I hope the chemistry will still be use-sable in 5 years, even if not, if I use only 1/2 the chemicals the savings will be worth it. The savings you get by buying 5 kilos from India, seem huge, much better than the costs of buying them from the USA or CANADA in periodic small doses. Each chemical is different thou, some things in India are more expensive, like Hypo Ammonium Thiosulfate.

Note* It took me 2 tries at 2 banks but got the money out today! Hopefully in about 1 month I will have a 5 plus year supply of chemistry for my wet plate project .If this works will order other chemicals, maybe Silver Nitrate as well! Silver Nitrate is the MOST EXPENSIVE part of wet plate photography.