Saturday, August 29, 2020

Todays Wet Plate Stuff

from Facebook...

Got out a little late tonight but managed to do a few wet plate things today. I reattached the rubylith to the large window using the magnet system only. I hope the commercial adhesive keeps the magnet tape stuck to the wall this time. If it does, than this should be a good working system. The door rubylith magnet set up seems to be much stronger even thou I used very thin, probably 1/4" magnet tape for that window.

Did more work in the tent today even thou I could have used the trailer. I am prepping for going into the field next week off to start the KANATA project around Edmonton. It should be interesting and an error full adventure but it is part of the learning curve. I think I will mix up some more Poe Boy collodion for those ambrotypes, I only have about 15% left from my first mix.

Today did a couple of 4x5 tintypes and tried 1 ambrotype 8x10 but it did not work, possibly underexposure, ran out out of time to start another. I will revert back to my modern lens for the start of the project when doing 8x10 ambrotypes. Will either use the 250mm Fuji F6.7 or the 300mm Nikon F5.6.

I will need to order some pre-cut 4x5 and 8x10 cut glass as I have no way to transport the large sheets of glass I hope to cut myself. Thinking of not doing 2mm glass as it is rather fragile, will try 3mm and 4 mm to start with. Will get like 10 4x5 and 8x10 in clear glass.

The progress into wet plate seems to be going OK thanks to the help of many of you. I am having trouble with the UV light thing (thanks D for your help), but other than that, things are going fairly smoothly so far. The wet plate working system seems to be flowing a bit better now but I still do dumb things at time and make beginner mistakes. Little by little we are going to get this done. I will have to move to indoor shooting in November as the weather will start getting very cold here in Edmonton then. Next spring thou it will be full speed ahead into AMBROTOS KANATA.....I hope :)