Sunday, August 9, 2015

Portrait Practise

Did a portrait yesterday with the 120mm and Linhof 5x7, reflector, spot meter at F8 and 1/8. There is a bit of blur in the shot but not bad considering the very slow shutter Not sure I like the look of the 120mm. might be changing off to the the 210mm as the main lens (more commonly used with a 5x7). I wonder how difficult it will be to photograph a child with the 120, I might need to move the camera very close to my subject as they are much smaller/shorter.

Here are some scan of the sharper negs:

1/15 at F8 120mm on Tri-x at 200ASA
1/8 at F8 120mm Tri-x at 200ASA
Update* What I noticed about composing with the 120mm is that even with a slight change of the tripod position there is a dramatic shift in the photos composition (wide angle lens!). Which you can see in the selection of both images above, I  prefer the second composition better, a bit tighter but that also leads to some distortion. Bigger head and smaller feet when I point the camera down.

Update** Some of my older 5x7 holders have issues. I am going to go to the newest all plastic ones and see how many I have. I think I need to take at least 12 pristine working holders with me this trip. I cannot afford to have a faulty holder that could potentially fog dozens and dozens of negs.