Saturday, August 15, 2015

Bought A Lens, Leica R 24mm F2.8

Well got a good price on a used but good condition Leica R 24mm f2.8. This lens is made for the Leica R series SLR 35mm cameras. I have 2 R6s which I got very cheap, around $200 each, my chrome version R6 body I think was even cheaper $150?, forget now. For this new 24mm lens I paid $450USD with a $30 shipping cost, a very good price. These lens go from around $450 to around $1700 USD in mint condition. My lens is a older, a bit used up but the glass is in great shape, no scratches, fungus, haze etc, a nice lens hood is included. The one flaw is the focusing is a  little bit stiff (like with my macro Leica R 60mm f2.8). There is a good chance I will take this lens with me this coming trip.

I hope the stiff focus is not too much of an issue as I mentioned I have the same problem with m 60mm and able to use the lens without any problems. In the future I plan on sending a bunch of Leica equipment in for repair and CLA. I will probably do this after my second trip next July/August.

My Leica equipment repairs include:

- the 24mm and 60mm R lens for a CLA (lube and cleaning which will smooth out the stiff focus)
- my dropped and badly damaged 50mm f1.4
- my damaged M6 body, one of the lens strap ringgits was ripped off the camera causing a light leak.

This Leica repair CLA bill might be $1000 CAD, mostly for the damaged 50mm.

Am still waiting on the refund for my Rolleiflex GX, hope that comes through considering I already bought my Leica lens! Might be getting ahead of myself here.

Update* Gosh this is scary, a discount price for a new version of this lens at $2795 USD (list price $3990), $450 is sounding better and better!
http://www.amazon.com/Leica-Elmarit-R-24mm-2-8-Lens/dp/B00009VQ9R

My Leica R 24mm f2.8 lens, $450 USD