Monday, August 31, 2015

Bought Me Some Notebooks

Picked up 10 black notebooks today for $50. Nice books that should be durable and tough, they have an elastic to help keep the book shut and a page marker string. The idea is I want to write up a daily diary of my photography trips. I already have this online blog but in the diary I can even be more candid and forthright, privacy has its benefits. I can be more free, more honest, more of everything, the words will most likely only be read by me. I  feel that writing things out, thoroughly thinking things out carefully, freely will help with my creative process. I will transfer some of that writing, writing that might be a bit more compelling to the blog.

Another use for the diaries would be to add some substance to my daybook/contact sheet photo book idea. I could scan the pages from the diaries and then insert them into the blurb book mock ups. Hopefully these mock ups will eventually lead to a real books, from a real publisher. That idea would be similar to Diane Arbus's wonderful biographical (partly autobiographical) book "Revelations", one of my all time favourite photo books. "Revelations" has information from many sources. Diane's notebooks, contact sheets, photos etc. I want to try and create something similar, something of visual, emotional , spiritual and educational interest. Something hard hitting, truthful with a unique power to it.
Diane Arbus "Revelations"At Amazon.ca

Update* Just played around a bit with my new notebook. It fits snuggly into my Domke camera bag back pocket (impossible to lose). I also discovered the notebook has a little envelope for storing things on the inside back cover. Now I can save interesting paper artifacts from my adventures (for later scanning?), PURRR FECT!!!!

I will take a notebook with me on my photo making days, in between shooting I can write down stories and thoughts, draw pictures, whatever! I want to make these things very personal as diaries should be. 10 books should last me 5+ years, maybe longer. I might pick up a few more of these note books while they are available, been looking a long time for something that works.

Maybe someday they will end up as part of a collection along with my life's work of prints and negs, people handling everything delicately with white cotton gloves. If the saving for posterity thingy does not work out then the books will be good landfill material, or someone could use them to start fires., crumpled paper always works well for that! : ))

Notebook 1 of 10, it will travel with me to Thai soon