Sunday, August 23, 2015

Leica R Camera Equipment Deals

I decided to fill in my Leica R SLR equipment package today. I already own 2 Leica R6 s and a Leica 60mm Macro. I have a 24mm f2.8 R lens coming in the mail. Today I low bid on some combination R equipment auctions and won the auctions at cheaper prices. Probably saved around $350-550USD on these combined deals as compared to if I have bought everything separately. These cameras were part of a collectors collection, so they are going back out into the field again! Got to love that. They will travel the world making pictures before they are to beat up to be used any longer. Camera's are made to be shoot pictures, and that's what I intend with these cheaper R Leica's

In today's auctions I got:

Auction #1: $451USD
- Leica R6 Black body
- Leica 28-70mm f3.5-4.5 R zoom lens


Auction #2: $397USD
- Leica R4 Black body
- Leica 35mm f2.8 R lens


I was mostly interested in the black R6 body and the 35mm f2.8 R lens. I wanted a 35mm lens to take with me to Tondo slum next year. A lens that was world class in sharpness yet cheaper, much much cheaper than my 35mm f1.4 M ($3000+USD). These buys today add to my collection of world class Leica R equipment at discount prices. Cameras I would reluctantly give up in a robbery attempt.

I will probably take this R series equipment into dangerous places in the future, leaving my very expensive Leica M camera system stuff safely at home. Hate to leave the Ms at home but the Rs are also world class cameras and I will be braver with them. I know that I will go into more dangerous shooting situations with the Rs than I would with the Ms. I am thinking of also traveling to Africa and Central America in the next few years. I am currently reading a book on El Salvador.

Note* I think the Leica R system cameras/lens are currently much cheaper than the M lens because the M's can still be used with Leica's digital rangefinders. Both the R and M lens are renowned for their extraordinary sharpness, and quality of glass. One my workshop students explained the selection and building process to me. Only the best of the best for Leica. Now I can profit from digi taking over the market and buy these discounted world class Leica film lens at great prices.

Note** Both these auctions are from the same seller so I am getting a cheaper combined shipping cost. I am not sure if I will have to pay duty and GST tax, sometimes I do, sometimes not.

Update* I could use the R4 body with the 28-70mm zoom in the worst conditions or the most dangerous situations. They are basically freebees I got thrown in, if I lose them I am out $0.