Friday, August 7, 2015

Book: Sebastio Salgado's "Other Americas"

Got Sebastiao Salgado's photography book "Other Americas" today from Amazon.ca. What a beautiful book filled with strong images. The printing and layouts are very beautiful. The only thing I am not a big fan of is the spreading of the images over 2 pages which means there is the centre crease/fold through the heart of the photograph.

Many of the photos in the book I have seen before or have in other books but there are several that I love that are completely new to me. Just these photos alone, these new little gems make the $34.58 price tag for the book well worth it.
Sebastiao Salgado's "Other Americas"


One viewing of the book made me realize I need to take my full compliment of 35mm equipment with me to Asia this coming trip. When you see a what a great artist like Salgado can do with 35mm Tri-x and a Leica,  it is inspiring!! I am starting to make strong photos with my 35mm gear, I need to take everything in the kit and continue that positive flow even thou I plan on shooting lots of 5x7 this trip.

- M6 Leica with 35mm F1.4
- M6 Leica with 21mm F 2.8
- R6 Leica with 60mm macro F2.8 lens

Note* Just ordered Salgado's other new book "The Scent of Dream: Travels in the World of Coffee" it was listed at $95 before but came down in price to $59.56 so I bought it.