Sunday, August 30, 2015

11x14 Korona Camera Hopes And Thoughts

Now that I have entered the ULF (Ultra Large Format) world with the purchase of my first 11x14 camera, I thought I would share a few hopes and other thoughts.

I now have the chance to do high end contact printing negs. I will have to tray develop my 11x14 Ilford HP5 at $11 CAD a sheet but it should yield some stunning results.

The possibility to do 11x14 wetplate is also an option, either tin types, ambrotypes or large glass negatives.

I have 4 different lens for this camera already. The 360mm Schneider that was won in the auction, my 360mm Nikkor-W f5.6 and 250mm Fuginon-W f6.7 will all cover 11x14. The 250 which I bought for my 8x10s has a huge image circle and covers with 11x14, I guess it would be a wide angle lens for that format. Not sure how much I can do in terms of movements, probably enough. My lens for all my white background sex worker portraits of 2007-2009-2012 the Nikkor-W 300mm f5.6 might also have enough coverage. The 300 has a bit of a larger image circle than the Fuji 250 and not nearly as much as both 360mm lens.

I have started to look for film holders online. I think I would eventually like to get 5. If I had 5 active holders I could do 10 exposures, plenty for a days shooting.

The weight of this unit, lens, holders and tripod worries me. I believe the Korona is one of the lightest 11x14s out there.Still with holders and the like, 11x14 gear is HEAVY. Will do the best I have.

Type of photos to be made?
- full body available light portraits with the 250mm at widest aperture? (Shooting in Asia? Africa? South/Central America?)
- in studio white background still life's and portraits
- various types of landscapes at small and large apertures
- negs for platinum/palladium printing (after I buy a high quality UV printing light source machine)
- wet plate work, thinking of black/ruby glass ambrotypes
- will contact print work onto 11x14 warmtone/cooltone Ilford fibre paper to start. I got a ton of various types of 11x14 fibre paper in my darkroom, I can use all that stuff up now as well.

Update* Next camera up? A 16x20 ULF : ))